Why I Wrote this Guide?
Let’s be honest:
Not every man is a gentleman these days.
Because, every man is not respectful, confident, well-mannered, stylish and classy, in a single word – “well-born”.
Being a gentleman is not a genetic trait or something that you get from your parents. It’s a lifestyle!
So, I wrote this guide to help you become a gentleman, that is well-respected and honored. This guidebook is full of actionable resources to become a modern gentleman.
Who is this Guide for?
If you’ve ever thought – “How is it like to be a gentleman like The Great Gatsby, or Professor Layton, or Kingsman?” Then, this guide is for you.
Using this guide, you will learn basics of being a gentleman, how he behaves around others, dresses, communicates, maintain relationships, know how to dine, and what makes him different than other men out there.
There are dozens and dozens of things that you can sit down and do right now to make your life more respectful and classy.
Each chapter contains several links to hand-picked blog posts that improve your overall behavior, style, etiquette and everything that makes a man classy.
This is going to be amazing.
The Modern Gentleman Today: How the Game Has Evolved
Confusion about the words “gentleman” and “lady” is also evident, as they are not addressed or referred properly these days.
For our ancestors, “gentle” meant “well-born, belonging to a family of position”. The English word derives from the Latin “gentilis”, meaning “race” or “family”.
According to Robert Edward Lee’s definition, “the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman.”
British members were called gentleman right from their birth, but birth alone cannot make a man a gentleman. New growing elites attempted to designate as gentlemen as a natural consequence of their growing wealth and influence.
In its best use, in modern usage, gentleman involves a certain superior standard of conduct, due to the quote – “that self-respect and intellectual refinement which manifest themselves in unrestrained yet delicate manners.”
In simple words, being a gentleman means treating others, especially women, in a respectful manner and not taking advantage or pushing others into doing things he chooses not to do.
ChaptersThe Fundamentals Communicate Act & Behave Maintain Relationships Eat & Drink Dress Attend a Gathering Impress Everyone Gentlemanly Essentials (BONUS)
The Classy Gentleman Fundamentals
If you’re new to this whole gentlemanly concept – or looking to brush up on the basic meaning – the resources below will help you to get started with the concept.
This brings us to the question – where did the word gentleman come from?
The word comes from the Old French “gentilhomme” meaning “well-born man, a man of good family or birth.” Hence, the word means “well-born man”.
- How to Be a Man of Power | EASIQUE
- What Does It Mean to Be a Gentleman | Next Luxury
- What is a Gentleman? | Effortless Gent
How to Communicate Like a Gentleman
A gentleman is a master at communicating with others. He knows when to say, what to say and how to say.
You can look classy and act classy but if you say something “out of the line”, you will totally screw the pooch.
There are some things you should say, some things you must avoid and basic rules of engagement in terms of communication like a gentleman.
Here are some posts that talk about communication tips.
- 37 Conversation Rules for Gentlemen from 1875 | The Art of Manliness
- Speaking Etiquette 101 | I Am Alpha M.
- Answering the Phone | I Am Alpha M.
- 10 Texting Tips | I Am Alpha M.
- How to Text Like a Gentleman | The Distilled Man
- Email Tips: Top 10 Strategies for Writing Effective Email | Jerz’s Literacy Weblog
- How to End a Conversation | The Art of Manliness
How to Act & Behave Like a Gentleman | Etiquette, and Manners
“Act like a king, if you want to be treated like one.”
Manners, the way of behaving towards others. We have been told some of them from the beginning because your manners signal your respect and how you respect others.
A man must not forget common manners that need to be followed, no matter where he is. Some of them include:
- Open the doors, carry stuff, etc., when you’re with a woman or senior.
- Stop obsessively checking out your phone.
- Don’t eat like a junkie.
- Follow the dress code for the place you are visiting.
- Wait for your turn.
- Avoid picking up the phone while in a conversation.
- The Anatomy of Etiquette | The Art of Manliness
- 21 Lost Gentleman Traditions That Still Apply Today | Good Guy Swag
- Etiquette: Being a Gentleman in 2016 | Articles of Style
- How To Be A Gentleman – Etiquette Training On Chivalry | A Graceful Watchman
- How to Feel Like a Man | The Art of Manliness
- Sitting Etiquette for Men | I Am Alpha M.
- Cell Phone Etiquette for the Modern Gentleman | Gentleman’s Gazette
- Shake Hands Like a Gentleman | I Am Alpha M.
How to Maintain Relationships Like a Gentleman
Relationships are an important part of a man’s life, where communication is the key to a healthy relationship.
A gentleman knows how to maintain freshness in his relationships. He is a passionate lover and knows how to seduce a woman. At the same time, he knows that his vision is as much important as his relationship with his woman.
A gentleman also understands others’ situation, instead of trying to hurt them back. He is there to help his close friends and family, whenever they need him. He is present whenever someone is suffering or celebrating.
- How to Attract Women Using 19 Incredible Secrets & Become a Sexy Man | EASIQUE
- Romance & the Gentleman’s Code | Zen Karma
- How to Maintain a Casual Relationship | Paging Dr. Nerdlove
- How to Keep Your Relationship Fresh | I Am Alpha M.
- The Art of Proposing | Primer Magazine
- How to Argue Like a Gentleman | I Am Alpha M.
- Reject Someone Like a Gentleman | I Am Alpha M.
How to Eat & Drink Like a Gentleman
So, you are invited, at a gathering, there are some well-dressed gentlemen. As the time passes, dinner time comes up.
Now, what do you see? You see some of those well-dressed gentlemen eating like animals. Idiots.
There is some dining and eating etiquette to consider. If you’re also one of them or you haven’t figured out how to eat like a gentleman, here are some resources.
- Man’s Guide to Dining Etiquette and Proper Table Manners | The Art of Manliness
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Dinner Manners | Primer Magazine
- Dining Etiquette and Manners | I Am Alpha M.
- How to Drink Like a Gentleman | Gawker
- How to Give a Toast Like a Gentleman | The Sharp Gentleman
How to Dress Like a Gentleman
Whenever we talk about a gentleman, his dressing style always comes to mind. A gentleman always dresses appropriately when going out (even when you’re going to buy milk).
The “appropriate” outfit will depend on the specific place you are visiting. As the establishment elevates, so should your outfit. If you’re going to a nice place, then avoid:
- Tank tops
- Flip flops
- Sneakers and Sport Shoes
Every guy needs a well-tailored suit in his wardrobe. Putting on a great suit is like wearing confidence. Have one.
- 132 Effortless Men’s Style Tips to Dress Better Than Your Friends | EASIQUE
- The Art of Dressing Like a Gentleman | RSVLTS
- How to Dress Like a Gentleman on a Budget | Gentleman’s Gazette
- The Ultimate Guide to Business Casual Attire for Men | Restart Your Style
- 13 Menswear Myths That GQ Wants You to Believe | The Modest Man
- How to Choose Glasses That Suit Your Face Shape? | EASIQUE
How to Attend a Gathering Like a Gentleman
Everybody gets invitations to parties, events, gatherings, and functions. But, how to attend one of these like a gentleman?
The following resources will show you how he dresses, communicates, prepares, and leaves the place.
- How to Party Like a Gentleman | I Am Alpha M.
- Proper Men’s Attire for All Occasions | Real Men Real Style
- How to Be a Perfect Houseguest | The Art of Manliness
- Strip Club Like a Gentleman | I Am Alpha M.
- How to Exit a Room Like a Man | The Art of Manliness
How to Impress Everyone Like a Gentleman
Just 4 seconds!
All it takes for a person to judge the kind of person you are. And those assumptions are mostly based on your overall looks and body language.
The impression can be judged on two kinds of characteristics – either genetically or non-genetically.
Non-genetic characteristics include your outfit, hygiene, body language and your mood, which can be improved. Genetic characteristics are the ones which you can’t do anything about. Some people don’t like Blacks, disabled-people, Asians, etc.
The good news is that you can learn how to make an incredible first impression, like a gentleman.
- 21 Action-Packed Ways to Build Self Confidence & Be Admired By Everyone | EASIQUE
- Make The Right First Impression | Paging Dr. Nerdlove
- How to Make Introductions Like a Gentleman | The Art of Manliness
- How to Be Charismatic: 7 Powerful Tips from The Mentalist | The Positivity Blog
- The 3 Elements of Charisma | The Art of Manliness
- How to Build Your Legacy Like a Gentleman | The Sharp Gentleman
Gentlemanly Essentials (BONUS)
I’m so happy that you’ve reached here and you must have learned so many things about a gentleman.
To take this to another level, I present you a BONUS chapter in an easy-to-use PDF version.
It includes those essential things that are followed by gentlemen every day (in a summarized way).
Download a FREE PDF version of this Gentleman Guide
Also contains a BONUS chapter not found in this guide.